The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is a specialised agency of the United Nations dedicated to eradicating rural poverty in developing countries. In Kenya, the fund invests in the development of the aquaculture sector.
Larive supported IFAD with a market survey on the status of the Kenyan aquaculture sector and main impediments to growth.
The market survey covered the following topics
- Background on recent developments in the aquaculture value chain in Kenya.
- Estimate of current demand for aquaculture fish species by type of market.
- Analysis future demand and gap in supply by fish species and type of market in Kenya.
- Potential for export farmed fish.
- Stocktaking of key technological alternatives for fish farming at small holder level.
- Analysis of the key constraints and opportunities of the aquaculture sector.
- Best practice case: Egypt.
- Key recommendations for the investment in smallholder aquaculture in Kenya.