Zeist, the Netherlands / Dhaka, Bangladesh, 31 August 2022
Today, the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Bangladesh formally launched FoodTechBangladesh, a four-year cooperation between Dutch and Bangladeshi companies. The partnership is headed by Larive International B.V., and jointly the partners invest EUR 6 million in developing sustainable growth of the Bangladeshi aquaculture sector.
The partnership consists of Aftab Bahumukhi Farms, Gemini Sea Food, Nutreco, Viqon, LightCastle Partners, and Larive International. These parties will establish three Centres of Excellence in Sylhet, Khulna, and Cox’s Bazar to introduce and demonstrate different types of improved and more sustainable techniques for fish breeding and cultivation. Moreover, the partners will conduct research and trials with on-farm products, such as feed additives, aqua specialties, and antibiotic replacers and will provide technical assistance to fish breeders and farmers. In addition, the partnership will upgrade an aqua feed line in Dhaka to increase the availability of domestically produced specialized fish feed.
FoodTechBangladesh is co-financed by the Netherlands Embassy in Bangladesh and contributes to improving the technical and commercial performance of fish breeders and farmers in Bangladesh. This is done through demonstrating best practices and transferring know-how. Over 1,600 local fish breeder and farmers will receive training at the Centres of Excellence and via online courses. In addition, the partnership aims to reduce post-harvest losses by connecting fish breeders and farmers directly to end markets.
H.E. Anne van Leeuwen, Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Bangladesh: “The Dutch Embassy in Bangladesh supports the development of more sustainable agri-food value chains in Bangladesh and encourages Dutch companies to locally invest together with local stakeholders. We are glad that via this cooperation we are able to contribute to increased food security, more sustainable water usage and strengthening the cooperation between the Dutch and Bangladeshi private sector”.
Matthias Brienen, Director of Larive International: “Strengthening the aquaculture sector in Bangladesh requires an increase in domestic productivity in an environmentally and socially responsible way. This can be realised via introducing technologies developed in the Netherlands, such as genetics, feed, and controlled breeding and farming systems which have been proven in other emerging markets, in combination with technical advice”.
FoodTechBangladesh is initiated and led by Netherlands-based Larive International in close collaboration with its Bangladesh-based affiliate LightCastle Partners. The partnership includes:
- Aftab Bahumukhi Farms is active in livestock and aquaculture breeding & hatching, horticulture, feed production, farming, slaughtering and further processing.
- Gemini Sea Food is one of the leading seafood processors & exporters of Bangladesh.
- Nutreco is a leading global animal nutrition company offering solutions for livestock and aquaculture.
- Viqon is specialised in designing and engineering aquaculture farms based on sustainable recirculation technology.
- Larive International is a business development advisory firm specialising in assisting companies in emerging markets in Asia, Africa, and Central and Eastern Europe.
- LightCastle Partners is a management consulting firm providing data-driven services to inspire businesses in Bangladesh to advance the economy.
For questions about FoodTechBangladesh, please contact Laura Derks at email@example.com. Questions for the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Bangladesh can be sent to the economic affairs department via DHA-EA@minbuza.nl.